What the difference between Web Design & Web DevelopmentPosted on 29 January 2017, by soumabali
We can tell by looking at our Google Analytics that businesses are searching for both Web Design Company and Web Development Company. Nowadays these terms are virtually interchangeable as “web companies” alternate the way they describe their services. The truth is that the terms reference two fundamentally different aspects of the website building process requiring two unique skill sets. Why is it important that you know the difference as you look for someone to design and develop your company’s website? Let’s see if we can provide some clarity.
In term of work and definition
A web designer is a graphic artist who develops and styles objects for the Internet. Website designers are able to tap into their creative energy and design the overall layout and look for websites.
Web Design in closer look
Web designers must always begin by considering a client’s website objectives and then move on to an Information Architecture (IA) to set a website’s information hierarchy and help guide the design process. Next, web designers can start creating wireframes and finally move to the design stage. Web designers may use several basic design principles to achieve an aesthetically pleasing layout which also offers excellent user experience.
- Balance – It’s important for web designers to create a balanced layout. In web design we refer to heavy (large and dark colors) and light (small and lighter colors) elements. Using the correct proportion of each is critical to achieving a balanced website design.
- Contrast – In color theory, contrasting colors are ones placed opposite one another on the color wheel (see also complementary colors). Web design offers a few other areas where contrast is applicable. Designers look at contrasting sizes, textures and shapes to define and draw attention to certain sections of the website.
- Emphasis – We touched on this a bit when discussing contrast. Emphasis is a design principles founded in the intentional “highlighting” of certain important elements of the website layout. It’s important to note that if you emphasize everything on the page you end up emphasizing nothing. Imagine a page in a book where 80% of the content is highlighted in yellow…does anything really stand out? This is the time to take a look at that Information Architecture for direction.
- Consistency – Also called repetition or rhythm, consistency is a critical web design principle. For example, clean and consistent navigation provides the best user experience for your website visitors.
- Unity – Unity is the relationship between the various parts of the website layout and the composition as a whole. Based in the Gestalt theory, unity deals with how the human brain visually organizes information by grouping elements into categories.
Web Development – A Closer Look
Web developers, sometimes called programmers, take the design created and build a fully functioning website. To put it (very) simply, think of the design as a non-interactive “picture” of a website. Developers take that design and break it up into it’s components. They then either use just HTML or a more dynamic approach incorporating programming languages such as PHP to develop the various website pages. More advanced web developers may choose to utilize a Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress or Joomla in order to streamline development and allow clients an easy way to maintain and update their website.
Web developers may convert a static layout into a dynamic website by using image and content sliders, active states for links and buttons, and other interactive elements.
Is It Better To Work With A Web Designer Or Web Developer For All My Website Needs?
Web designers typically have a creative mind set, whereas web developers usually think methodically and logically. Because of the very different mind sets of designers and developers, it is very hard to find a good web designer who is also a good web developer. Web developers probably can’t create an attractive web design. And web designers would likely have a hard time thinking logically to develop a proper functioning web application.
That being said, hiring a website company is your best bet to get an all around perfect website, from the design to the programming. Website companies are able to offer you the best of both worlds, by divvying up projects between their web designers and web developers. Typically a website company will also have a project manager on hand, who will be able to effectively manage projects and make sure the developers and designers are on the same page. No one person can be an expert at everything. By hiring a website company, like Souma Bali Web Design & Developers, you will get a properly managed and well planned website that will look great and function properly
source : http://www.purelybranded.com/insights/web-design-or-web-development-whats-the-difference